Role: Fundraising & Communications Lead
Reports to: Director of Fundraising & Communications
Location: Home/Waterloo – central London
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Term of appointment: Permanent
Benefits: 25 days annual leave plus generous 8% pension contribution
About MicroLoan Foundation
MicroLoan Foundation is a poverty alleviation and women’s empowerment organisation. We support women in rural areas of sub-Saharan Africa to work their own way out of poverty. Since 2002 MicroLoan Foundation has supported over 240,000 women and their families in Malawi, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Our vision is a world where all those living in poverty have the opportunity to build better lives for themselves and their families.
Our mission is to provide the poorest women in sub-Saharan Africa with the tools and skills to enable them to work their own way out of poverty.
At MicroLoan Foundation, we believe that the best way to achieve our vision is to enable the poorest and most vulnerable people to work their own way out of poverty, building independence and resilience as their financial situation improves. By providing them with financial literacy, business training, ongoing support and small affordable loans, we help these women to start small businesses for themselves.
Over time, the money they generate from their small businesses helps to ensure food security, improved housing, access to healthcare and an education for their children. We encourage them to make modest savings as insurance against future crop failure, family illness and other unexpected circumstances; giving them confidence in their ability to weather whatever life throws at them.
This is an exciting time to join the team as we are looking to grow our income and have a pipeline of high profile campaign opportunities in 2020 and beyond.
The fundraising and communications team:
MicroLoan Foundation has a small and dynamic fundraising and communication team in London. The team is responsible for generating income and driving engagement from new and existing supporters. This is done by developing high impact long-term relationships with individual donors, companies and institutions and by engaging mass support through events, direct marketing and fundraising campaigns. The Fundraising & Communications Lead plays an important role in the organisation and we are looking for a driven and talented individual to join the team.
The role and responsibilities
- Managing the individual giving function to drive donations into the individual giving programme from new and existing donors. You will do this through managing direct marketing campaigns both in print and through email, taking immediate responsibility for the current cash appeals and e-newsletters with a focus to maximise return on investment.
- Developing and managing social media campaigns to maximise income generation.
- You will help develop a strategy to grow the income from individual giving through direct marketing and online channels.
- Identifying, applying for and implementing media appeals (such as BBC Radio 4, BBC Lifeline, Financial Times Appeal, Creative Vison Awards and UK Aid Match Appeal).
- Managing CRM data queries and analysing data to maximise income from campaigns.
- Donor stewardship and communications – responding to queries and keeping donors informed about the difference their support makes.
Digital Management and Social Media
- Managing the website, this includes all aspects of website management including functionality, copy and visual content. Monthly reporting and analysis on website views/bounce rates etc to ensure pages are performing correctly.
- Liaising with the MicroLoan USA and MicroLoan Australia teams to ensure all respective websites are updated and accurate.
- Working with pro-bono agencies to maximise use of Google AdWords.
- Manage the day-to-day creation of social media content using the Marketing & Communications plan ensuring posts drive engagement and traffic to the website.
- Grow social media outreach and ensure all social media content is in line with MicroLoan’s core messaging and brand.
- Provide regular updates on the effectiveness of social media marketing and ensure MLF keeps ahead of new innovative ways to engage.
- Use raw data and information provided by field staff to create engaging direct marketing campaigns, success stories, reports, visual content, articles and infographics for all MicroLoan’s platforms and materials.
- Creating marketing collateral including donation forms, business cards, t-shirts, brochures, fundraising packs, event invitations, recruitment emails etc. using design software (InDesign).
- Proofreading and editing presentations, proposals and all external communications before it is published/is sent to printers.
- Liaising with designers, print houses, pro-bono proof readers and media volunteers.
- Ensuring the MicroLoan brand is cohesive and consistent across all communications and platforms. This means creating templates for the team to use and branding any new documents they need creating. You will also work with pro-bono creative agencies and volunteers to ensure that all communications they create are on brand (this includes design and content across digital and print).
- Developing the communications strategy and planning content across print and digital based around internal and external events across whole organisation, with support from the Director of Fundraising & Communications.
- You will be required to offer support at MicroLoan events some of which may be at weekends and evenings. At these events you will be expected to act as an ambassador, supporting the delivery of MicroLoan’s vision and ensure that the charity’s profile and reputation are enhanced.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date records for all supporters and prospects using MicroLoan’s database eTapestry, ensuring all supporter information is managed and stored in-line with Data Protection regulations.
- Support and deliver other projects and tasks, in line with your skills and experience that might occur beyond your role and that contribute to our overall organisational objectives.
We are looking for an ambitious person with a proven track record of delivering successful Individual Giving or direct marketing campaigns and very strong copywriting skills. This role requires solid understanding of marketing and the use of digital channels and website management. The Fundraising & Communications Lead should have demonstrable experience of implementing a communications strategy to increase outreach and income. Experience from the international development sector or a degree in related fields would be beneficial and a passion for reducing poverty and inequality would be expected. You will be joining a small team and should be prepared to assist on projects outside of your immediate role in order to support your colleagues and MicroLoan’s overall objectives. You preferred working style will be collaborative, inclusive and practical.
Knowledge, experience & skills
- Strong copywriting skills – excellent grammar, proofreading, attention to detail and accuracy.
- Experience of using Content Management System (preferably Word Press).
- Good understanding of website processes and functions (back end).
- Demonstrable experience of implementing successful income generating individual giving campaigns/direct marketing campaigns – print and online.
- Proven ability to manage social media channels to increase engagement and income.
- Exceptional communication skills both written and oral.
- Attention to detail.
- Self-starter with the ability to juggle a number of assignments at the same time, to react quickly, to meet deadlines, to organise a busy workload and to prioritise tasks.
- Experience of preparing schedules and plans and delivering against them.
- Proven ability to maintain effective stakeholder relationships both internally and with suppliers.
- Interest in international development issues.
- Experience of using and analysing data from CRM database such as eTapestry or Raiser’s Edge.
- Experience of implementing brand consistency across multiple mediums and channels.
- Experience of liaising with external agencies and suppliers.
- Good understanding of using Google AdWords and Google Analytics.
- Knowledge of using Adobe Creative Cloud applications (preferably InDesign but Premiere Pro and Illustrator would also be beneficial).
- Understanding and experience of SEO.
- Experience of working with international development issues or degree in related field.
- Press or PR experience.